Peter Ricaldone was a major superior of the Salesian Society for forty years, half of them as rector major.
He authored eleven books (three of them multi-volumed) in Spanish and Italian on hagiography, asceticism, education, the Salesian spirit, and what used to be called “the social question,” and at least ten book-length circular letters (others that he may have written were published without signature in the Atti de/ capitolo superiore).
He was widely revered for his virtues and admired for his administrative talents.
- Part I: Career up to 1932
- 1. Youth (1870-1890)
- 2. First Salesian Apostolate (1890-1901)
- 3. Provincial in Spain (1901-1911)
- 4. Councilor for Trade and Agricultural Schools (1911-1922)
- 5. Prefect General (1922-1932)
Reference time period: 1870 – 1932
M. Mendl, A Man for His Times: A man for his times: Father Peter Ricaldone as Rector Major (1932-1951), Part I, in «Journal of Salesian Sudies» 4 (1993) 2, 85-106.
Institute of Salesian Studies