This paper could be considered precisely the second part of the one presented at the previous seminart. It is my intention to present a general framework within which many of the other papers that follow will find their place – at least those which will directly or indirectly refer to the third decade of the XX century.
The study is divided into two parts: the Church context and the Salesian context, or, the missionary “policy” of the Catholic Church and the missionary “policy” of the Salesian Society.
Questo contributo può essere considerato la seconda parte di quello presentato al seminario precedente. È mia intenzione presentare un quadro generale all’interno del quale troveranno posto molti degli altri contributi che seguono, almeno quelli che si riferiranno direttamente o indirettamente al terzo decennio del XX secolo. Lo studio si divide in due parti: il contesto ecclesiale e il contesto salesiano, ovvero la “politica” missionaria della Chiesa cattolica e la “politica” missionaria della Società Salesiana.
- 1. The Church context
- 1. The Catholic Church and the Missions between 1915 and 1930
- 2. The Catholic Church and the Missions in the Decade 1929-1939
- 2.1 Documents and Some Events
- 2.2 A Catholic Thought on the Evolving Missions
- 2.3 Particular Mission Fields in Asia
- 2. Salesian activity in mission territories in the decade after the beatification of Don Bosco (1929-1939)
- 1. Missionary Formation Houses -a Wealth of Aspirants, Yet not without Problems
- 2. Missionary Development under Fr Rinaldi and in the First Period under Fr Ricaldone: a Comparison
- 2.1 Statistics for 1934
- 3. Visit of Fr Berruti to Asia and his lmpressions
- 4. Approval of the Regulations in GC XIV
- 5. Difficulty in Approving the Regulations on the part of the PF
Reference time period: 1915 – 1939
F. Motto, Catholic church and the missions in the twenty years between the world wars. Salesian missionary strategy in Implantation of the Salesian charism in Asia – Ideals, challenges, answers, results. Acts of the Salesian history seminar East Asia – Oceania region Batulao (Manila), 24-28 november 2008, Kristu jyoti publications, Bangalore, 2009, 37-63.