The firs chapter is of an inspirational nature. As well as giving youth ministry a positive slant on the youth situation, it opens it up to all the young people’s expectations, even those that are hidden and unconscious. Only by inhabiting their world can we come to really appreciate its potential. We need to abandon any form of ministry that is turned in on itself, and open our gaze with hope, always keeping in mind young people who are weakest and most at risk. New cultural paradigms and the challenges thrown up by different contexts call for specific attention and challenge the very meaning of ministry and of being Church. In this chapter we would like to focus on the motivation that drove Don Bosco and the Congregation during and after his time in their commitment on behalf of young people.
- ”Here is your fi eld, here is where you are to work”
- Love for young people and a desire for contact with them
- Discernment by educators and believers
- Communion with others in love
- Salesian Youth Ministry is the primary expression of the Salesian mission
- Increase the number and improve the quality of the places where we encounter young people
- Twofold Fidelity
Reference time period: 2014
Salesian Youth Ministry Department, Salesian Youth Ministry. Frame of reference, III edition, SDB, Roma 2014, 28-45.
Direzione Generale SDB